Many people consume acidic beverages and foods throughout the day—not knowing what it’s doing to their smiles. If you are one of these people, our Smiles Dental team has a tip for you.
Acid is a harmful substance that attacks your teeth and wears down enamel. This can cause many dental issues that can give you an unhealthy, painful, and unattractive smile. Some common products that tend to erode teeth are carbonated beverages, wine, fruit juice, yogurt, fruit, and honey. When your teeth have started to erode, you might notice the following symptoms:
· Sensitivity: Because your tooth enamel is wearing away, your teeth are becoming extremely sensitive. You might notice this symptom when you experience a jolt of pain in your tooth when you consume hot or cold products.
· Discoloration: Your teeth tend to get more yellow as the enamel erodes. This is because the thinning enamel exposes the underlying dentin, which is naturally dull.
· Rounded teeth: If your teeth appear rounded, it’s because of tooth erosion. The acid that causes the erosion will eat away the corners and edges of your teeth, giving them a sand-blasted look.
· Cracks: Small cracks and some roughness may appear at the edge of your teeth because of the acidic effects.
· Cupping: The acid tends to create dents and craters in the surfaces of your teeth, which is also known as cupping. Acid can also make it seem as though your dental fillings are rising out of your teeth.
To prevent tooth erosion, Dr. Elizabeth Miller and our team recommend staying away from acidic foods and drinks or simply cleaning your smile after you consume them. If you have any questions or if you would like to learn more about tooth erosion, call 503.342.8500 today!